Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Same year, same track?

In many motorsport series around the world it is quite common for them to visit the same track more than once in the same year. But F1 traditionally never does this.

Have there been occasions in the past where a track has hosted more than one F1 race in the same year?

I expect non-championship races may have a part to play?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    In terms of championship races, no. But some non championship races have been held at a circuit which ran the championship race in the same year. Eg Daily Express International Trophy at Silverstone.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    In terms of championship races, no. But some non championship races have been held at a circuit which ran the championship race in the same year. Eg Daily Express International Trophy at Silverstone.
    Wasn't it the case that if Silverstone had the non-championship event then Brands Hatch had the GP that year, and visa-versa? Or in a couple of instances Brands hosted the European GP while Silverstone had the British GP.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Wasn't it the case that if Silverstone had the non-championship event then Brands Hatch had the GP that year,
    Seems not..
    http://www.formula2.net/F165_Index.htm

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Good spot

I was thinking more of the 1980's when the British GP alternated between Silverstone & Brands, although IIRC Brands had the European GP and the Race of Champions in 1983, while Silverstone hosted the British GP.

There's a list of non-championship F1 races here - http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/a.../f1/title.html
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Not happened before and not likely to now - but I remember a brief snippet in the now-defunct F1 News magazine a few years back, suggesting that Monaco of all places might get a second Grand Prix to celebrate the country's 700th anniversary

(This would have to have been quite some years back, as a quick check on fount-of-all-knowledge wikipedia confirms that the 700th anniversary was in 1997)
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Silverstone - Daily Express International Trophy. Because of the sponsorship it paid better than the GP so in some years had a better entry

Brands Hatch - [Daily Mail] Race of Champions. I have a feeling it wasn't always the mail that sponsored it

Aintree - the Aintree 200 was one of the non-Championship curtain raisers in the fifties and sixties

Rouen (1952) and reims (1953) in addition to the Championship Grand Prix de l'ACF probably hosted hosted a Formula 2 'Grand Prix de France' round of the French Championship

There was a year when south Africa had a GP in january and another in December when they wanted to change but didn't want a two year gap between races. One was definitely non-championship and the other could have been as well,

Prewar, in addition to the German GP the Nurburgring also hosted the Eifelrennen

I can't think of any others
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good post, that clear out my doubts.

Red face forget the favor received

We should never remember the benefits we have offered nor forget the favor received.-------------------------Our wow power leveling website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling 1-70. The Professional Cheap WoW Gold! Powerlevel wow gold now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

Wink A Man of Actions

A Man of Actions  A crowd of student was gathered on the campus of Oxford University.“You can have no doubt,”shouted a young man excitedly,“that if the Dean does not take back what he said to me this morning, I'll leave Oxford this very evening!”  A buzzing noise followed.“What a man of actions!”one said in admiration.“How should we support him and learn from him!”said another.  Suddenly, a girl asked,“What did the Dean say to you, Hob?”  He bent and whispered to her,“Well,he told me to get clean away from Oxford this very evening!..World Of Warcraft gold is WoW gold,”